For the past 40 years, thousands of Saharawi refugees live in five camps next to the city of Tinduf, in the South of Algeria, almost exclusively depending on humanitarian assistance. Since 2001, TGH has been implementing projects in these refugee camps to address the essential needs of the population while offering more durable solutions in various field of action; TGH is renewing its efforts in this direction in 2021:
Equipement of the Rabouni National Hospital with an oxygen system. Refugee camps of Tinduf. October 2020. ©TGH
- Mechanical workshop: TGH repairs and maintains the vehicle fleet that provides humanitarian aid, exposed to extreme conditions and damaged roads in the refugee camps
- Health: TGH contributes, in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, to improving the quality of health services in order to maintain a sufficient level of health coverage in the camps. Material support is provided by rehabilitating the stomatology services of Awserd and Dakhla, and the staff capacities of the health infrastructure and auxiliary services (laboratories, radiology and stomatology) are strengthened.
- HIV: TGH supports reproductive health and HIV testing services in the camps through training sessions for medical staff on HIV and the organization of awareness campaigns.
- Hygiene: Given the precarious water supply and limited access to hygiene and maintenance products in the camps, TGH produces and distributes soap and bleach to the Saharawi population and institutions.
Distribution of hygiene kits. Refugee camps of Tinduf. ©TGH
- Protection of people with special needs: TGH, in cooperation with the Ministry of Social Affairs, Education and Health, contributes to the improvement of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Services (MHPSS). Training in psychosocial support for mental health and education actors, psychosocial support activities for women and children, and community awareness sessions on psychosocial well-being are being implemented. TGH supports people with special needs in the Specialized Educational Centers by providing materials to diversify the manual activities offered. Diapers are distributed to people with BMI who also benefit from therapeutic follow-up at home. These activities aim to improve the living conditions and inclusion of people with disabilities in the Saharawi society.
- Management of UNHCR Weather Haven bases: TGH continues to manage, maintain and ensure the safety of the main work base in Rabouni and the remote bases in Smara, Laayoun and Awserd, made available by the UNHCR.
Assistance for people with disabilities, therapeutic activities. Refugee camps of Tinduf. © TGH