Country: Sudan, job based in Khartoum, with regular field trips to Darfur
Duration: 1 year renewable from September 2019 (one month is necessary to complete the visa procedure)
Conditions: Salaried contract, gross monthly salary from €2,300 to €2,800 according to experience, monthly per diem €480, medical coverage of 100% + repatriation insurance + provident fund, accommodation, international and local transportation as part of the mission, break every 3 months.
Presentation of the mission
TGH is present in Sudan since September 2003, and opened its first project for the victims of the Darfur crisis in one of the IDPs camp in West Darfur (Riyad camp of Geneina) in June 2004. TGH has since extended its activities in West Darfur and Central Darfur, implementing its projects through 5 operational bases (Geneina in West Darfur; Bindizi, Um Dukhun, Golo and Zalingei in Central Darfur). All projects are coordinated from Khartoum main office. TGH currently works in the fields of water and sanitation, hygiene promotion, NFIs, food security and livelihood, Education.
TGH’s strategy in Darfur consists in shifting gradually and where appropriate to more development-oriented programming, while maintaining the capacity to provide humanitarian assistance when needed.
Ongoing operations include:
- Emergency assistance to people affected by population displacement and natural disasters (provision of Non Food Items- NFI and emergency shelter, safe water supply facilities, emergency sanitation and hygiene promotion for vector control).
- Construction and rehabilitation of water supply systems and sanitation services, hygiene promotion and capacity building of community based committees and local authorities in WASH services sustainable management
- The strengthening of food security and livelihood, through distribution of agricultural inputs, promotion of farming best practices, sustainable natural resources management, development of income generating activities and targeted food distribution.
TGH is currently funded in Sudan by a set of different donors: SHF, ECHO, EuropeAid, French Embassy, UNDP, AFD, USAID and IOM-RRF.
He supports the Head of Mission on the overall implementation of the programs in Darfur, requirements definition, writing grant applications, planning, defining strategies and reporting to donors.
He supervises the overall work of the program team ensuring program development and quality and timely implementation of all the organization projects in Sudan.
He provides direct supervision and support to the operational and overall functioning of the mission within 5 bases in Central and West Darfur in coordination with TGH program and support staff.
In direct collaboration with the Head of Mission, the sector program managers and the support services departments, his main responsibilities are:
- Lead WASH programming for the TGH mission in Sudan, ensuring program quality through strategy development and participatory program design in close collaboration with the Country Director, the Program team and the national partners.
- Develop and adjust strategies for emergency, recovery and rehabilitation programming based on thorough humanitarian context analysis, TGH and partner capacities, resource availability and coordination with the sector and government line ministries.
- Work with the Country Director, the Program team and the national partners to prepare concept papers and grant proposals as well as mobilizing funds.
- Support the Program Team in the implementation of operations and monitoring of progress on project indicators and outcomes, ensuring compliance with donor’s requirements and sector standards.
- Manage program budgets and ensure spending is consistent with resources available, donor commitments and co-funding requirements in coordination with the Administration Coordinator.
- Contribute to the improvement of comprehensive program monitoring systems ensuring that monitoring data are feed into management decisions and used in program management.
- Conduct field visits to West and Central Darfur for program monitoring and capacity building of field teams and partner.
- Prepare or assist program staff to prepare regular program reports for donors and partners as required. Ensure timely information exchange of emergency operations. Respond to internal and external requests for reports and information about programs.
- Exchange information and technical support with headquarters WASH Technical Department Referents and the sector partners (clusters) in Sudan ensuring compliance with sector standards and best practices.
- Ensure regular program coordination with donors, including provision of regular project updates, preparation of modification requests and preparation of donors monitoring visits.
- Ensure program coordination and complementarity with OCHA, UNHCR, UNICEF, FAO, WFP, government line ministries, INGOs and NNGOs.
- Contribute to the identification and development of partnerships providing an added value for Sudan WASH programs and support program team in effective partnership management.
- Contribute to relevant Protection, Gender and Environmental issues mainstreaming in Sudan programs.
- Evaluate program quality, including documenting best practices and lessons learned from Sudan WASH programs and ensuring these are considered in program design.
- In direct link with the HQ Wash Technical Expert, ensures the review of technical designs (water points, latrines, hand washing facilities, etc.) and the methodology of soft activity components (training, hygiene promotion, capacity-building of Water Committees, etc.).
Data collection and monitoring tools
- Pursue and continue review & development of the technical documents, guidelines & procedures
- Review of the new monitoring tools package and RACI structure (responsibility assignment matrix).
- Visit of all TGH operational bases (Geneina, Bindizi, Zalingei, Um Dukhun, Golo) to follow the installation of new monitoring tools and RACI structure with each staff involved.
- Conduct short refreshment training for all TGH or non-TGH staff involved in data collection if necessary.
- On-the-job quality control of data collection methods (for instance, at water point level – water quality tests, frequentation survey, fuel consumption follow-up –, during hygiene promotion Sessions, during latrine distribution activities, during a KAP survey, etc.). Based on observations, advice teams on possible improvement and share lesson learnt and best practices.
- On-the-job coaching of WASH Managers in their monthly compilation of the collected data.
- From Khartoum, provide continued support to field teams. In consultation with TGH WASH technical unit in HQ, provide modifications to tools and structures in case practice show that improvements are needed.
- Support to WASH coordinator and deputy coordinator on data analysis based on the monitoring tools package, and on how to integrate lesson learnt from analysis in activity implementation.
- Preparation of monthly feedback report to be sent to WASH staffs in charge of data compilation in the bases.
- Supervise directly the WASH Coordinator and other team members as required.
- Adapt tasks and responsibilities allocation within the Program team to accommodate program requirements or specific situations.
- Identify capacity building needs for staff and partners involved in the response. Take the lead on coordinating any formal or informal training for the Program Team and partners.
- Provide direct support to the Program team through training sessions and appraisals.
- Represent TGH in UN cluster meetings, government coordination meetings and other programming forums in Sudan, along with the sector program managers when relevant and/or the Country Director.
- With the Country Director, maintain fluid relationships with the donor agencies and supports the follow-up of funding opportunities for TGH Sudan programs.
- With the Country Director, contributes to programs complementarity and synergies by maintaining fluid relationships with international and local organizations, specifically those working in same geographical areas and WASH sector.
General support to the mission
- Safeguard that conduct and work of the Program Team respects core humanitarian values of humanity, independence, neutrality and impartiality.
- Contributes to the respect of security measures applied by the Country Director.
- Supports the implementation of internal procedures in coordination with the Administration, Finance and the Logistics Coordinators
- Supports internal improvement processes. Contributes to knowledge and information sharing within the INGO team.
This list of responsibilities could be modified according to the needs in the field.
Security, working and living conditions
Based in Khartoum, the WASH Coordinator will perform short-term missions to Darfur bases. Security situation in Darfur is very variable from place to place and period. Field-visits are authorized when security conditions allow it. The movements to the field-bases are ensured by United Nations Humanitarian Air Services- UNHAS.
Security conditions in Khartoum are globally good with no particular movement restrictions.
Health risks are limited and there is little prevalence of malaria or other diseases in Khartoum. Quality medical services are available in Khartoum.
The mission in Khartoum has an office/ guesthouse of a significant size (4 floors) providing adequate separation of work and living space. Communication means are good (efficient internet, international phones).
Khartoum enjoys a lot of different places for extra-professional activities: markets, swimming pools, gardens, access to cultural sites out of Khartoum. The social life is rather rich.
There are daily flights to regional and Europe destinations and expatriates go out of the country every 3 months for breaks.
- At least 3 years of humanitarian experience in the field, with at least 1 year in a coordination position (WASH program).
- Experience in the following sector: Water supply, Sanitation and Hygiene.
- Experience in managing emergency and early-recovery operations in challenging security environments and understanding of the humanitarian environment (standards, stakeholders and mechanisms).
- Experience in grants management and knowledge of procedures of main donor agencies: ECHO, European Union, OFDA, DFID, AFD, UN Agencies or others.
- Practice in designing M&E systems, tools, quality data collection, analysis and use of M&E data for program decision making.
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English. Preferably competent user of French spoken and written.
- Ability in successful team management and capacity building
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively on a team and to lead a team of specialists from a range of fields.
- Autonomy and rigor. Developed skills for work organization and tasks prioritization
- Capacity to represent TGH at high level coordination meetings with different stakeholders.
- Experience of Arabic or Muslim countries and knowledge or Arabic language a distinct advantage
- Proficient user of MS Office pack. Knowledge on data treatment and GIS software will be positively considered.