Location: Khartoum, with field visits in Darfur
Duration: 6 to 9 months renewable, from December 2019 – Please note that visa approval can take up to 2 months; anticipation in the application process is therefore recommended.
Conditions: Salaried contract, gross monthly salary from € 2,300 to € 2,800 depending on experience, monthly per diem 480 EUR, medical coverage of 100% + repatriation insurance + provident fund, accommodation, international and local transportation as part of the mission, break every 3 months.
Family duty station: to be discussed according to experience and context evolution in Sudan.
Presentation of TGH
"Actor in a sustainable and shared solidarity"
Founded in 1994, TGH is a French international solidarity organization based in Lyon, France. The association designs and implements emergency, rehabilitation and development programs in the following sectors: water, hygiene and sanitation, civil engineering, food security and rural development, socio-educational and psychosocial. TGH is currently operating in 10 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
Presentation of the mission
TGH is present in Sudan since September 2003, and opened its first project for the victims of the Darfur crisis in one of the IDPs camp in West Darfur (Riyad camp of Geneina) in June 2004. TGH has since extended its activities in West Darfur and Central Darfur, implementing its projects through 5 operational bases (Geneina in West Darfur; Bindizi, Um Dukhun and Zalingei and Golo in Central Darfur). All projects are coordinated from Khartoum main office. TGH currently works in the fields of water and sanitation, hygiene promotion, NFIs, food security and livelihood, Education.
TGH’s strategy in Darfur consists in shifting gradually and where appropriate to more development-oriented programming, while maintaining the capacity to provide humanitarian assistance when needed.
Ongoing operations include:
- The strengthening of food security and livelihood, through distribution of agricultural inputs, promotion of farming best practices, sustainable natural resources management, development of income generating activities and targeted food distribution.
- Construction and rehabilitation of water supply systems and sanitation services, hygiene promotion and capacity building of community based committees and local authorities in WASH services sustainable management.
- Emergency assistance to people affected by population displacement and natural disasters (provision of Non Food Items- NFI and emergency shelter, safe water supply facilities, emergency sanitation and hygiene promotion for vector control).
TGH is currently funded in Sudan by a set of different donors: HF, ECHO, Europe Aid, UNDP, SHF and IOM-RRF.
Under the supervision of the Head of Mission and in collaboration with the Head of Admin, Finance & HR Department, the overall responsibility of the Head of Logistics Department is to ensure the respect and implementation of tools and logistics procedures. The Head of Logistics Department also supports the local logistic team and the good execution of current and futures projects.
The position of the Head of Logistics Department will include:
Ensure the overall management of the logistics activities
- Ensure the overall management of all the supply chain activities in all operational bases.
- Ensure the respect of internal and donors’ purchase procedures and validation by operational/financial Departments in headquarters.
- Ensure that the procurement documentation is complete, compliant, archived and sent to headquarters.
- Ensure the quality and timeliness of the purchases.
- Ensure the overall management of the stocks in the bases.
- Ensure the overall management of all the equipment, assets and premises.
- Ensure the overall management of movement plan, the team of drivers and the fleet of vehicles.
- Ensure ICT support and Preventive maintenance.
- Support the use and understanding of all internal Logistics tools: assets, stock and fleet follow-up, in kind donations follow-up, communications.
Staff capacity building and Logistics department strengthening
- Through regular field visits, identify recommendations and ways of improvement of the logistics Department taking into account the context, and the gaps for logistics staff and base needs
- Support and check the national teams regarding the respect of the Logistics procedures and follow up (supply chain management, internal procurement rules, purchases plans, Purchase Requests and Orders Follow Up linked with the Purchases Follow Up, anticipation, inventories, fuel consumption follow up, communication and reporting to HQ…).
- Support and strengthen the capacity of the national team in checking the quality of the documentations/archives related to Logistics / procurements in order to guarantee the respect of TGH internal rules and donors’ demands, at coordination and field level ; the final checks of procurement procedures compliance with TGH and donors standards being the responsibility of the Head of Logistics Department.
- Support TGH national team (Logistics, Administration and Programs) in the use of the recent internal purchase request tool linked with the Purchases Follow Up tool, and ensure its regular update.
- Set up training plan, provide trainings and adapted tools to TGH national team (Logistics Department) and National Partners on the internal logistics procedures, specific logistics subjects (stock management, supply chain, fleet management etc.), as well as logistics tools (purchase follow up, purchases requests, etc.) in order to improve the work of the department and therefore the projects’ implementation, at coordination and field level.
- Recruit, if required, staff for the Logistics Department and provide training.
Support the collaboration between TGH Logistics and other departments (Administration, Programs)
- Strengthen the coordination between Logistics and Administration and Programs departments; propose adapted solutions, tools and communication mechanisms to ease the overall supply chain and Logistics.
- Strengthen the coordination with Finance and Administration teams during and after the process of purchase and for the preparation of audits.
- Strengthen the coordination with Programs teams for the follow up of purchase requests and procurement procedures linked with field activities, or support for specific program (e.g. Buffer Stock prepositioning and distribution).
- Strengthen the link with headquarters for the follow up of reporting tools and for the improvement on the procedures and methodologies of the mission in line with TGH internal process.
General support to the mission
- Contribute to the update, implementation and respect of security measures defined for the mission.
- Support internal improvement processes. Contribute to knowledge and information sharing within the INGO team.
- Support the national teams in the Logistics tasks and reporting.
This list of responsibilities could be modified according to the needs in the field.
Working environment and living conditions
Based in Khartoum, the Head of Logistics Department will perform regular missions to Darfur bases. The movements to the field-bases are ensured by United Nations Humanitarian Air Services- UNHAS.
Current social context in Sudan, especially in Khartoum, can lead to temporary tightened security procedures (movement restrictions, etc.).
Health risks are limited and there is little prevalence of malaria or other diseases in Khartoum. Quality medical services are available in Khartoum.
The mission in Khartoum has an office/ guesthouse of a significant size (4 floors) providing adequate separation of work and living space. Communication means are good (efficient internet, international phones).
Khartoum enjoys a lot of different places for extra-professional activities: markets, swimming pools, sailing club, museums, gardens, access to cultural sites out of Khartoum. The social life is rather rich and active.
There are daily flights to regional and Europe destinations and expatriates go out of the country every 3 months for breaks.
- At least 2 years’ experience as Logistician in humanitarian context is required
- Fluent in French and in English; Arabic is an asset
- Good skills in transfer of knowledge/training
- Computer skills (including Excel and Word)
- Writing skills in French and in English
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills
- Autonomy, rigor and skills for synthesis
- Good organizational skills
- Adaptation capacities to dynamic context