Country: Syrian Arab Republic - Damascus
Duration: 7 months, renewable according to funding, from November 2019
Conditions: Salaried contract, gross monthly salary from €2,300 to €2,800, monthly per diem USD 850, medical coverage of 100% + repatriation insurance + provident fund, accommodation, international and local transportation as part of the mission, break every 3 months. Non family duty station.
Presentation of TGH
"Actor in a sustainable and shared solidarity"
Founded in 1994, TGH is a French international solidarity organization based in Lyon, France. The association designs and implements emergency, rehabilitation and development programs in the following sectors: water, hygiene and sanitation, civil engineering, food security and rural development, socio-educational and psychosocial. TGH is currently operating in 10 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
Presentation of the mission
TGH has been registered as INGO in Syria in May 2017 and ensures a permanent presence since November 2017. TGH works under the coordination of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) officially mandated by the Syrian Authorities to coordinate activities of humanitarian organisations committed to provide assistance to the conflict-affected Syrian population in Syria.
TGH identified sectors of activities in Syria are WASH, Education, Protection and Livelihood. The WASH working group is active in Syria and coordinated by the Ministry of Water Resources and SARC; Education sector is coordinated by the Ministry of Education through the Directorate of Planning and International Cooperation and UNICEF in Damascus. The Early Recovery and Livelihood Sector is activated since 2013 and led by UNDP. The Protection sector is leaded by UNHCR and UNICEF (for Child Protection) and the Health sector by WHO.
TGH strategy for Syria 2019-2020 is to “Respond in the country to the acute humanitarian needs of the most vulnerable and exposed Syrian people while increasing their resilience capacities”.
The fourth and latest project in Syria is funded by the European Union through its European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) branch. As the former projects are still ongoing, it is a joint TGH/SARC emergency WASH, education and protection project benefiting to local population, IDPs and returnees living in the conflict-affected areas of Eastern Ghouta (Rural Damascus) and Hama (northwest of Syria). For its first collaboration with the EU in Syria, TGH is working in zones where it has already been developing activities. The project will benefit to 161.160 individuals.
In the sector of WASH TGH will ensure the provision of water through Water Trucking (WT). In parallel TGH will ensure the rehabilitation of 8 water systems in a more durable perspective. TGH will also set up WASH in schools activities, i.e. Rehabilitation of hygiene infrastructures in identified schools alongside with hygiene kits distributions to the children.
Efforts to make schools a safe and supportive environment for education, which includes the rehabilitation of 4 schools, are coupled with activities of support to children’s education and wellbeing, targeting Out of School children but also children already regularly attending school. TGH will reinforce schools’ staff knowledge and capacities in non-formal education (NFE) and psychosocial support and accompany them in the implementation of these activities with the required conflict-sensitive approach.
In addition to the above, other programs with similar sectors of intervention are expected to start in the coming months: several proposals have been submitted (AICS, SHF, UNHCR) and remain unanswered to date.
The Finance / HR / Admin Coordinator will be under the responsibility of the Head of Mission. He/she will be managing the national Administrative assistant, but also the national Logistics assistant. There is indeed no expatriate logistician for the time being, which may be reviewed if the overall volume of activity demands it.
The main responsibilities include:
- Prepare budgets linked with the project proposals
- Follow the daily/monthly expenses for all the projects
- Develop a strategy for allocations of expenditure per project
- Supervise and train the Administrative assistant on daily accountancy
- Train the Administrative assistant on SAGA and on general TGH procedures
- Train the Administrative assistant on budget follow up
- Implement a regular voucherisation of invoices on the mission and train the Administrative Assistant
- Keep an up to date Allocation Table for the mission and forecasts
- Manage, in collaboration with the HoM, all mission budgets, proposal, financial reports, monthly accountancy closure, cash flow forecast
- Manage the cash flow and cash supply requests to Head Quarters
- Prepare and conduct financial audits as needed
- In collaboration with the HoM, assure the link with the financial interlocutors (donors, bank…)
- Ensure that TGH follows the Syrian laws
- Collect all information about income tax and social benefits, and update internal regulations, work contracts and administrative guidelines accordingly
- Supports the implementation of internal procedures in coordination with the HQ
- Provide specific training to the Administration team on the internal HR, admin and finance procedures
- Support the Administrative assistant with administrative procedures (i.e. visa, clearance for office, guesthouse…)
- Ensure a clear archiving of all accountancy and administrative documents
- Ensure the respect of internal and donors’ purchase procedure
- Ensure a check on the documentation of purchase procedures
- Make or revise invitation letters, contracts and all logistic documents
- In collaboration with the logistic assistant, Prepare and elaborate evaluation grids and tender reports
- Contribute to procurements if required
- Ensure a clear archiving of all logistic processes
- Follow up all contracts (premises rental, car rental etc…) and logistic processes linked to programs
- Collect all necessary information on local labour law and update internal regulations/work contracts accordingly
- Follow up of the HR contracts and evaluations
- Follow up of the HR database (leave follow-up, employment contract FU etc.)
- Train the admin assistant on the regular update of all HR documents (FUs, organigram, leaves etc.)
- Assist the HoM in ensuring that all HR policies are understood and respected by all staff
- Participate to the hiring process of any support staff to be recruited
- Identify the training needs and organize trainings for the Administration teams
GENERAL SUPPORT TO THE MISSION
- Liaise with programs for project budget follow-up
- Contribute to the respect of security measures applied by the Head of Mission
COORDINATION AND REPRESENTATION
- Attend internal coordination meetings
- Attend external inter-NGO administration coordination meetings if needed
- Writing financial reports and compiling data for financial reports
- Contribute to monthly reporting to Head Quarters in coordination with Admin and logistic assistants
- Regularly report to Head of Mission
This list of responsibilities could be modified according to the needs.
Security, working and living conditions
The current volatile and unpredictable context in Syria requires strict security rules in terms of movements and transmission of information / communication with the Headquarters.
Working and living conditions in Damascus are good. Communication means are satisfying (efficient internet, international phones).
- Experience as Administration manager required in humanitarian context
- Proven experience in accountancy and financial management
- Fluent in French and in English; Arabic is an asset
- Writing skills in French and in English
- Good skills in transfer of knowledge/training
- Computer skills (including Excel and Word)
- Working knowledge of SAGA
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills
- Autonomy, rigor and skills for synthesis
- Good organizational skills
- Adaptation capacities to dynamic context